Parents who work, attend school or participate in job training may be eligible for financial assistance with child care.  Workforce Development Boards administer child care assistance through the Workforce Solutions offices.

Parents have the right to choose the type of child care that best suits their needs and to be informed of all child care options available, including:

  • Licensed child care centers
  • Licensed and registered family homes
  • Relative-provided care

To determine if you are eligible for child care assistance, contact your Workforce Solutions office.

To search for private or public-assisted child care or for educational services for children, visit 2-1-1 Texas.

Return to Top


Child care assistance is available only for children under the age of 13 in any of these circumstances:

  • Whose parents are receiving or transitioning off of public assistance
  • Who are receiving or needing protective services
  • Whose families are low-income

There may be additional eligibility requirements based on where you live, because requirements vary by Workforce Development Board area. For example, Workforce Development Boards may:

  • Establish an income eligibility limit that best meets local needs, as long as it does not exceed 85 percent of the state median income for a family of the same size
  • Provide care for children with disabilities up to the age of 19
  • Determine the length of time a parent may be in education activities and receive child care assistance
  • Establish the parent’s share of cost
  • Establish the provider’s maximum reimbursement rate
  • Establish attendance policies

For more information about the eligibility requirements for subsidized child care, contact your Workforce Solutions office.

Return to Top

Child Care Provider Options

Parents have the option of selecting regulated or relative providers, some of which have received additional state or national accreditations.

Regulated providers include those in any of these categories:

  • Licensed by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS)
  • Registered with DFPS
  • Licensed by the Texas Department of State Health services as a youth day camp
  • Operated and monitored by the United States military

Relative child care providers are individuals who are at least 18 years of age and, by marriage, blood relationship or court decree, one of the following:

  • Child’s grandparent
  • Child’s great-grandparent
  • Child’s aunt
  • Child’s uncle
  • Child’s sibling (if the sibling does not reside in the same household as the eligible child)

Relative child care providers must be listed with DFPS.

To learn how to become a child care provider, see TWC’s Child Care Providers’ Resources.

Return to Top

Child Care Resources

Parent Resources

Child Care Rules and Regulations

Finding an Accredited Provider

Resources for Parents of Children with Disabilities

Other Resources

Return to Top