AFFIRMING THE COMMITMENT OF THE
TEXAS WORKFORCE COMMISSION TO ENCOURAGE THE PUBLIC
TO APPEAR BEFORE THE COMMISSION AND SPEAK ON ANY ISSUE
WITHIN THE JURISDICTION OF THE COMMISSION
Whereas, the Texas Workforce Commission (the "Commission") includes a public comment item on the agenda of each of its regular public meetings; and the Commission posts notice of all of its public meetings with the Texas Register and Commission web site;
Whereas, the Commission has always and continues to encourage and provide the public with a reasonable opportunity to appear before the Commission and to speak on any issue under the jurisdiction of the Commission; and
Whereas, in accordance with Section 3.06, Senate Bill 280, 78th Texas Legislature, Regular Session, 2003, codified in part as Texas Labor Code Section 301.061, the Commission is directed to provide the public with a reasonable opportunity to appear before the Commission and speak on any issue under the jurisdiction of the Commission.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Commission hereby DETERMINES and RESOLVES that:
1. The Commission agenda for its regular meetings posted under the Open Meetings Act will continue to have an item designated as Public Comment, and under that item the public shall have a reasonable opportunity to appear before the Commission and speak on any issue under the jurisdiction of the Commission;
2. The Commission will add language to its Public Comment agenda item that the public is invited to comment regarding any agenda item on the posted agenda of the Commission as well as any issue under the jurisdiction of the Commission;
3. The Commission will add notice to its public web site that the public has reasonable opportunity to comment at each regular Commission meeting under the Public Comment item;
4. Public Comments at Commission meetings may be limited to a reasonable number, frequency, and length; however, the Commission does not and will not discriminate among speakers for or against a particular point of view; and
5. This Resolution is adopted at a meeting open to the public, in which public notice of the time, place and purpose of the meeting was given as required by Chapter 551 of the Texas Government Code.
Signed this 18th day of November 2003, upon the affirmative vote of a majority of the Commission present and voting.
|Chair Diane D. Rath|
|Commissioner Representing the Public|
|Ron Lehman, Commissioner|
|Ronald Congleton, Commissioner|