Hiring Events: Sept 22: Online | Sept 25: Texoma | Sept 26: Texoma, Center, Beaumont | Sept 27: Laredo, Nacogdoches, Online, San Angelo | More Job Fairs
TWC launches its redesigned website on Sept. 30, 2023. Look forward to a brand new website with you in mind. Online services continue to be available 24 hours a day.

Office of the Commissioner Representing Labor


The Labor Commissioner's Office represents the interests of workers with respect to TWC services.

Workers may contact the labor commissioner's office for information about TWC services and for referral to agencies or entities that might assist with workplace concerns.

Read the most frequently asked questions received by this office.

Return to Top

TWC Services and Information

Payday Law, Child Labor & Texas Minimum Wage Law

An employee who thinks he or she has not been paid all wages earned may file a complaint with TWC’s Wage and Hour Department. The Wage and Hour Department can answer questions about the laws governing wage payments to employees, restricted work rules for children and information on the Texas Minimum Wage Act; call 800-832-9243.

Unemployment Benefit Issues

Unemployment Contact Information:

If you need to speak with an unemployment specialist contact check the listing of contact information to see who would be best, at twc.texas.gov/contact-information or use the chat box on the lower right hand corner of the screen.


For information regarding the status of an appeal pending with the Appeal Tribunal, please email Appeal Status. For information regarding an appeal to the Commission, please email Commission Appeals. You can also visit the link below for more information about how to file an appeal and the appeals process.

Identity Theft and Fraudulent Claims:

For assistance and information regarding reporting identity theft issues related to unemployment claims, please visit the TWC Identity Theft Page.

Wage Issues

What should I do if my employer isn't paying me correctly?

If an employer does not pay all the wages owed to an employee in a timely manner, the employee can file a wage claim with TWC. More information about the wage claim process and an electronic copy of the wage claim form is available on TWC’s webpage. How to submit a wage claim. A wage claim must be filed within 180 days of when payment was due. You can contact TWC’s Wage and Hour Department at 800-832-9243 for further assistance.

You can also file a complaint with the Department of Labor

A complaint can also be filed with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage & Hour Division (DOL). A complaint with DOL differs from a wage claim filed with TWC in that it covers more time – up to two years – and all complaints are kept confidential, so the employer would not know you had filed the complaint. In addition, DOL has the authority to investigate the employer’s entire payroll procedures for all employees, while a wage claim with TWC covers only the individual who files the wage claim. The DOL Wage & Hour Division can provide you with information as to what sorts of claims or complaints they accept and how their process works. They can be contacted at 866-487-9243. They also have a webpage with information that might be helpful.

Contact an attorney for assistance at the Texas State Bar Lawyer Referral Service

You can also contact an attorney to pursue other legal recourse. If you need help finding an attorney, you can contact the State Bar of Texas’ Lawyer Referral & Information Service at 800-252-9690.

Who should I contact if I do not receive a W-2?

If an employer failed to provide you with a W-2, you can contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040 or get more information from the IRS webpage.

Workplace Issues

Is my employer required to give me breaks?

Currently, in most situations, Texas law does not require employers to give employees break times.

Where can I report workplace safety concerns?

Under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) of 1970, employers are responsible for providing safe and healthful workplaces for their employees. OSHA's role is to ensure these conditions for America's working men and women by setting and enforcing standards, and providing training, education and assistance. For more information, visit the OSHA website or call 800-321-6742.

Who can I contact if I am injured at work?

You may contact the Office of Injured Employee Counsel at 866-393-6432 or visit the OIEC website.

Where can I report workplace harassment and discrimination?

If you believe that you may have been the victim of discrimination or harassment, you can contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission by calling 800-669-4000 or the TWC's Civil Rights Division by calling 888-452-4778 to further discuss your issues. All complaints are filed online.

Return to Top

Training Opportunities

Registered Apprenticeship

Registered Apprenticeships are jobs. Registered Apprenticeship is the process of learning a skilled occupation through paid on-the-job training under the supervision of a journey level craftsperson or trade professional combined with related classroom instruction. Texas has Registered Apprenticeships in occupations, ranging from the traditional construction trades (plumbers, electricians, carpenters) to industrial (maintenance mechanic, tool and die) to nontraditional (advanced manufacturing, healthcare, information security).

Not sure what career to choose? Explore what to do for a living at MyNextMove.
Access Registered Apprenticeship opportunities in your area, via Apprenticeship Finder.

Workforce Solutions Training and Education

Find education opportunities, occupational or vocational training, vocational rehabilitation, and other resources to help you develop your skills. Contact your Workforce Solutions office for help.

Adult Education and Literacy

Adult Education and Literacy programs funded by the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) provide English language, math, reading, and writing instruction to help students acquire the skills needed to succeed in the workforce, earn a high school equivalency, or enter college or career training. Find a program near you using our Directory Search.

Vocational Rehabilitation Services

Locate vocational rehabilitation services to help people with disabilities prepare for, find or retain employment, and help youth and students prepare for post-secondary opportunities.

Return to Top

Contact Information

Office of the Commissioner Representing Labor

Treviño Across TX

When I’m not available to be at one of your events or participate in a program, Flat CAT can:

  1. Take pictures with Flat CAT at your Workforce Solutions offices, trainings, graduations, classes, summer programs, special events, etc. 
  2. Post pictures to LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter with a description.  
  3. Use the hashtag #TreviñoAcrossTX and any other specific hashtags. 
  4. Tag Commissioner Alberto Treviño III, your Workforce Solutions and anyone in the pictures.

Be creative! The sky is the limit. I look forward to seeing Flat CAT across the state.